About the Historical Society

 


Preserving the cultural and architectural heritage of Transylvania County.
~ Research ~ Restoration ~ Documentation ~ Interpretation ~

The Transylvania County Historical Society owns the Allison-Deaver House built in 1815 which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the McGaha Chapel built in 1872. The Historical Society depends upon membership fees, donations, private foundation grants and Transylvania County funds to maintain the Allison-Deaver House and the McGaha Chapel.

The Allison-Deaver House is open for tours by appointment.  The grounds and Glesne-Gash Walking Trail are open for picnics and walking.

2018 Events

The events for 2018 are currently in the planning stage. Check back soon.

Color Logo
The 200th Birthday Celebration on July 25, 2015 was a huge success with about 1,000 people attending, 18 period artisans and crafters, music by Carolina Blue, tours of the house, delicious food by Mayberry Restaurant, birthday cake and ice cream.

 If you haven’t toured the Allison-Deaver House recently, come enjoy the beautiful grounds, the new Gash walking trail and view all the new furniture additions to the house.  Our docents tell the story of the Allison-Deaver House to educate our visitors of the rich history of the house and of Transylvania County, preserving it for generations to come. An easy side trip when exploring Pisgah National Forest (PNF) or the Blue Ridge Parkway; the Allison-Deaver House is located at the junction of highways 280, 64 & 276 next to the entrance to PNF and Forest Gate shopping center.

 

Allison-Deaver House

Allison-Deaver House

The Allison-Deaver House dates from 1815 and is believed to be the oldest standing frame house in Western North Carolina. It is owned by The Transylvania County Historical Society and is open for visitors May 7, 2016 through October 16th, Saturdays 1-4, Sundays 1-4 and by special appointment.

The Allison-Deaver House is located near the entrance to Pisgah National Forest in Brevard, NC at
2753 Asheville Hwy, Pisgah Forest, NC 28768  (view map)

Open Hours: Tours are Saturdays 1-4 and Sundays 1-4 beginning May 7th through October 16th except when there is a festival in downtown Brevard, NC.

The Society also owns the 1872 McGaha Chapel in Cedar Mountain, which is only open by appointment. Call our office and leave a message for appointments – 828-884-5137.

MaGaha Chapel, Cedar Mountain, NC

MaGaha Chapel, Cedar Mountain, NC

Board of Directors

Mac Morrow, President
Marjorie Lillard, Vice-President
Gene Baker, Treasurer
Mathew Agrella-Sevilla
Charlie Burden
Marilyn Compton
Ellen Harris
Greg Hunter
Martha Jaye Johnson
Don Jordan
Jim Lyday
Keith Parker
Gladys Taylor
Marcy Thompson
Susan Kaczmarek, Program Manager

Transylvania County Historical Society
P.O. Box 2061, Brevard, NC 28712
(828) 884-5137
Email us!
Upcoming Events
  • Check back for new events.
AEC v1.0.4